Saturday, February 20, 2010

Crafts: Antique it!

I had envisioned a globe for a design project I'm working on, however the one I found at a local second hand shop looked too new for the aesthetic I was going for. After feeling the topographic surfacing on the globe I instantly knew how I could distress it.

Seattle, globe, design

( I used black to give a sooty appearance, but a whiskey brown would emulate a natural patina)

Applying shoe polish to the surface pulled out all the scratches and chips accumulated over the years, it also helped to add dimension. You wouldn't know the mountain ranges were raised from the surface until the polish filled in some valleys and built up against the gradation.

globe, seattle, design, crafts(Left: untouched - Right: finished.)

Once you've finished with the polish you may want to apply a glossy or matte spray varnish if the item is going to be handled as the waxy polish will rub off on hands or fabrics.

3 comments:

Mama W said...

I'm dying to know the details of this project!

Graham Thomas said...

All will be revealed next week!

Mama W said...

Still waiting... :P