Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cooking Seafood at Home

I had always been hesitant to cook seafood in my small kitchen as I'd often be left with that unpleasant fishy smell, sometimes lingering for days. I stuck to grilling my seafood until a chef friend of mine showed me some wonderful fish options and preparations.

seattle, lobster, cooking, seafoodAbove, we sauteed lobster tail with a vinaigrette of, lemon, tomatoes, and herbs. Served with a flavorful saffron rice, this simple preparation allowed the sweet flavor of the Maine lobster to come through. We didn't even need drawn butter.


seattle, seafood, trout, cooking, food This second meal showcased bearnaise, something else I never tried to make at home. Using farm fresh eggs and clarified Tillamook butter (my favorite), we whisked the hollandaise together over a makeshift double boiler, added tarragon, and in a twist on the classic, clementine zest and juice .



seattle, cooking, seafood, trout, food Pan seared rainbow trout is so light in flavor that it paired beautifully with the sauce. Dinner was served with braised cipollini onions, fried fingerlings, and roasted heirloom grape tomatoes (not pictured).

I implore you to take advantage of the amazing seafood the North West has to offer, but please be conscious of your choices. Here is a great seafood guide that helps you determine the best seafood for you and the environment.



No comments: