Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cuisine of the Decade: Indain?

food, cuisine, Indian, SeattleA recent salon.com article predicts Indian food will be the foreign food trend of the 2010's, like Japanese was in the '80's and Thai in the '90's. Why is this you ask? Krishnendu Ray, an assistant professor of nutrition and food studies at NYU, believes it is based on the immigration curve. More and more Indians and Bangladeshis are moving to the States, with the capital and education to open businesses. The US Indian community has been thriving for several generations, helping to elevate their culture from 'immigrant' status, and creating an immersion into the mainstream.

Last year Poppy sprung up as the first chic nouveau Indian restaurant in Seattle, but we've had both, white linen and chain, Indian restaurants for years (think India Bistro). We all know Seattle foodies are ahead of the game. Personally, I find Indian food comforting and casual, spooning warm curries on my naan and eating with my fingers while I sip my Kingfisher lager. The unusual spices and balance of sweet, savory, and spicy gives me a food high every time I eat it.

No comments: